Monuments perpetuate the memories of past events that might otherwise be forgotten. They recognise individuals and groups of people whose achievements and deeds become noteworthy. Monuments often timeframe construction projects of special significance. Whatever the reason they are meaningful structures.
Select from the list below to find out more.
- Big Mitchell River - Sorensen Monument. In honour of pioneers Gabriel and Doretta Sorensen.
- Chewko Road Lookout. In memory of a Mareeba Shire Councillor
- Chillagoe Pioneers. Dedicated to those who settled the district between 1878 and 1978.
- Chillagoe - Patricia Kinnear. In memory of Patricia Kinnear.
- Dimbulah - Tobacco. Monument dedicated to the tobacco growers of the district.
- Dimbulah - William Hambling. The William Hambling Bridge in memory of an old time Wolfram Camp carrier.
- Emerald Creek Pioneers. Dedicated to the people who farmed at Emerald Creek and the Shroj Family
- Emu Creek - Edmund Kennedy. Commemorates the ill-fated expedition of 1878.
- Irvinebank John Moffat. A Scottish born industrial entrepreneur.
- Irvinebank WWI Memorial. Memorial and Roll of Honour.
- Kuranda - Bridge Builders. Memorial to those killed during the construction of the Barron River Bridge.
- Mareeba Airfield. Monument to the decisive part this airfield played during World War 2.
- Mareeba Airfield "Pinky" Hoevet Plaque. The airfield was named in his honour.
- Mareeba Anzac Park Arbour. Dedicated to all those who served.
- Mareeba Anzac Park Memorial Tree. Dedicated to all those who have served in times of conflict.
- Mareeba Centenary Arch. Dedicated to those who paved the way for the settlement of Mareeba.
- Mareeba - John Atherton. Pioneer of the Tableland and founder of Mareeba.
- Mareeba - James Venture Mulligan. Prospector and explorer.
- Mareeba Pacific Victory Wall. Commemorating the end of the war in the Pacific in August 1945.
- Mareeba Scented Garden. Commemorating the Mt. Emerald Air Disaster 1990
- Mareeba War Memorial. With Rolls of Honour from WWI, WWII and The Vietnam War.
- Mount Carbine Industry Cairn. On the opening of the Open Cut Treatment Plant.
- Mount Garnet - Ludwig Leichhardt. Commemorating the 'signed' tree.
- Mount Garnet War Memorial. Dedicated to those who served in WWI and WWII.
- Mount Molloy Grave site. James Venture Mulligan Prospector and Explorer 1837 – 1907.
- Mount Molloy Memorial. James Venture Mulligan Prospector and Explorer 1837 – 1907.
- Mount Molloy - Patrick Molloy. Patrick Molloy 1840 - 1923 Pioneer, Teamster, Miner and Grazier
- Mount Molloy War Memorial. Dedicated to all who heard the call.
- Mount Mulligan Monument. Located at the cemetery, where all 75 who died in the mining disaster are buried.
- Mount Mulligan Monument. Located in front of the brickstack and dedicated to Mining Disaster victims.
- Mount Mulligan Plaque. Located at the base of the brickstack and dedicated to Mining Disaster victims.
- Speewah. Groves Creek National Arterial Road Project.
- Stannary Hills Monument. To a small but important centre of industry for a short period to the Great War.
- Tolga Mt Emerald Air Disaster. In memory of those killed in the Mt. Emerald Air Disaster 1990
- Wolfram Camp. Dedicated to those who lived and worked at Wolfram Camp
If you have details of other monuments or plaques in the district please use the contact form to let us know
so we can update this site.