Select from the list below to find out more about their history and what remains today, or use the interactive map ~ ~ ~
- Almaden. A small town 100k west of Mareeba and 1907 saw the start of a rail link to Einasleigh.
- Bamford. The town was built to serve the Wolfram/Molybdenite mines on Bamford Hill, the town being at the foot
of the hill.
- Beaconsfield. The Monarch Mine was one of the successful mines.
- Biboohra. James Venture Mulligan and his party passed near by in 1875.
- Bilwon. The growing of tobacco was a mainstay of this community.
- Boonmoo. An Aboriginal word meaning “the jump up”, referring to the mountain behind the town.
- Chewko. Another of the areas valuable tobacco growing areas..
- Chillagoe. John Moffat sent the first prospecting party into the area in 1887 and with Atherton’s help found copper
in the area.
- Dimbulah. Established to service locomotives in the early 1900's.
- Emu Creek. A mining town between Petford and Irvinebank
- Emuford. Large quantities of Wolfram was mined in the area.
- Gurrumbah. Surveyed by the mines department on 9th February 1906.
- Irvinebank. Established in 1882 and became one of the major towns in the region.
- Julatten. The town was known as Bushy Creek until 1926.
- Kingsborough. Originally called Kingston it was set up on Caledonia Creek to service the gold mines on the Hodgkinson gold field.
- Koah. Originally a small tobacco growing community.
- Koorboora. Lode tin was first discovered here by Anthony Linedale in August 1888.
- Kuranda. The village in the rainforest.
- Lappa Junction.Silver was discovered by Phil Haplin and party in January 1891.
- Mareeba. Principal town in Mareeba Shire with the railway arriving from Cairns in 1893.
- Mount Carbine. Wolframite was discovered on the slopes of Carbine Hill in the 1890's
- Mount Molloy. Pat Molloy discovered copper beside Rifle Creek in 1885
- Mount Mulligan. In 1876 James Venture Mulligan and his mates came across the mountain while looking for gold
- Mungana. A mining camp for the Girofia and Lady Jane mines in 1896 and the railway from Mareeba and
Chillagoe was completed in 1901.
- Mutchilba.Is a small farming settlement established in 1923
- Myola. Read about the trouble with the railway in the 1890's
- Paddy's Green. A thriving community in the 1930's
- Petford. A road was put through in the 1880’s from Port Douglas and the Hodgkinson goldfield to Georgetown
- Stannary Hills. Stannary Hills takes its name from the Latin word for tin -Stannum and was surveyed on 7th September 1903 by M. Amos.
- Thornborough. A mining town with a population of over 1,000 by 1877
- Wolfram Camp. Named after Wolframite, the ore of the metal tungsten, first found here in around 1888 by Willie Joss